Through the joint efforts of CIMVHR, IBM Canada Ltd. and Babcock Canada Inc., the Advanced Analytics Initiative was established to fund cutting-edge research using ‘big data’ analytics, machine learning and other novel approaches to health solutions for Canadian military personnel, Veterans and their families.
The scope of research was developed through engagement with key stakeholders and includes:
- precision medicine: medication/treatment selection, order of care, response-based treatment;
- personalized care: treatment tailored to the individual;
- military family challenges: impact of military families’ lifestyle on health and well-being; and
- research data challenges: addressing privacy, consolidation, access, and mining
The goals of this initiative are to:
- further the understanding and management of complex health issues that result from military service;
- enhance the development and consolidation of relevant research datasets; and
- support broader collaboration between academia, industry, and government.
This exciting initiative was made possible as a result of requirements for Babcock and IBM to meet Industrial and Technological Benefits requirements for the Victoria Class In-Service Support Contract.
In addition to providing resources directly to CIMVHR to manage the initiative and develop advanced analytics skills, support will be provided directly to selected university researchers in the form of funding for staff and in-kind access to IBM advanced analytics tools and expertise. To date, six projects have been selected for support, representing six Canadian universities, each with strong multi-disciplinary and multi-sectoral collaborative teams.
CIMVHR is open to considering additional sponsorship for this initiative. Please contact Madelaine Meehan, firstname.lastname@example.org, to learn more.